Year 9 Edges Assessment - December
The purpose of this assessment is to give you some practice at working to a deadline in response to a particular stimulus/theme. You will have access to a large collection of photographs.
You will have 6 hours to carry out the following activity:
- Choose approximately 5 photographs from a large collection of 4 x 6 prints. Photograph the group of pictures you have chosen and to your website. Explain why you chose these images.
- Place each photograph in a new location (somewhere in school) and re-photograph it 3 or 4 times. You should end up with about 20 photographs. Add these to a new Gallery on your Edges page.
- Now, create a sculpture from these photographs. Look at the examples below to help you. You are allowed to cut/re-shape the photographs and you may use other materials such as tape, pins, stickers, paper clips etc. to hold the images together. Your photo-sculpture should be able to stand up on its own.
- Choose a suitable place to install (place) your photo-sculpture and photograph it. You may wish to make several photographs, experimenting with a variety of compositions, angles, lighting etc.
- Upload your completed photographs to your website and write a short evaluation (WWW/EBI).
Examples of re-photographed photographs
Examples of photo-sculptures
Photo sculptures in the landscape
- Either take a photograph from a relatively low angle of the school landscape (make sure it contains a space suitable for a large sculpture) or, use the image supplied below
- Open your landscape image and your photo sculpture (above) in Photoshop.
- Duplicate (Cmd + J) the photo sculpture image and drag the background version into the trash
- Use the selection tools to delete (back space) the background. Experiment with both the Quick Selection, Magic Wand and Polygonal Lasso Tools to refine your selections. Try to make sure the edges of your sculpture are neat and tidy and that all of the background has been removed. Don't forget to remove the background from any holes you may have in your sculpture!
- Once you are happy with your selection, select the whole image (Cmd + A), copy it (Cmd + C) and paste it (Cmd + V) onto the landscape image.
- You can move (Move Tool) resize (Cmd + T) your photo sculpture. Make sure that you hold down Ctrl when you drag the corner handles to keep the image in proportion.
- Finally, save (File > Save for web and devices, JPEG, Large) your completed image and upload to your website. Evaluate (WWW/EBI).
NOTE: You should take screen grabs (Cmd + Shift + 4) of each step of the process so that you can describe what you did to create your final image. These screen grabs should be uploaded to your website as a Gallery. You can then add a caption to each image. You will need to use the following settings:
Your completed image should look something like these examples: